Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes May 17th, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes
May 17th, 2016, 7:30 pm

FWP Members Present: Anne Berry (Chair), Mary Emery (Treasurer), Mary Steen (Vice Chair), Keith Covey, Cynthia Kauffeld (Secretary), Matt Rohn

Meeting location: Mary Steen’s house.

I. Treasurer’s report:

  • Balance same as last month; current report includes a summary of the support for Music Play in Way Park. Current balance: $16,040.98


II. Music plaza:

  • Jasper received two bids for the plaza and chose the lower of the two. 
  • Around June 6th is target date to break ground on the plaza.


III.  Vintage Band Festival:

  • Anne met with Paul Niemisto of the Cannon Valley Orchestra. Our role will essentially be to publicize.


IV. Closet and Kiosk:

  • Anne spoke with Scott Swanson and he will get moving on both projects, although he did not give a time frame. The city will cover $600 toward the closet project and Scott will try to come in under that. He will also get a bill for the kiosk restoration to the city to be submitted to insurance of the vehicle driver.
  • Mary P took the kiosk door that had blown off in the wind to the City, so they have that as well as the damaged kiosk.


V. SEMAC grant survey

  • One of the requirements of the grant was for us to gather information regarding use of the instruments. Discussion of how best to do this. Possibly arrange for volunteers to sit in the park and observe and record usage at several time slots of the day during a couple of chosen weeks after installation (i.e. right away, then another month later, etc.). Volunteers would explain what they’re doing to the park users.
  • We will also give a concert with the instruments as part of the grant, which we think we’ll do during Pumpkin Fest. Maybe we can get Dave Hagedorn involved in this.
  • Discussion of having some sort of “lesson plan(s)” designed for the instruments, with instructions in the kiosk and on the website, perhaps even for phone.


VI. New Members

  • Mary S, Matt and Keith are stepping down, so we need to look for 3-4 new members (we are currently at 9 instead of 10)
  • Discussion of various possibilities, neighbors of the park, people with children of varying ages or differing backgrounds that might be helpful to have on the board. We will start with our first round of invitations and work from there.
  • We should have the new members on the slate for the Annual meeting, tentatively scheduled for June 7th (Keith will see if the Fireside Rm at St John’s is available).