Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes Jan. 19th, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes
Jan. 19th, 2016, 7:30 pm

FWP Members Present: Anne Berry (Chair), Mary Emery (Treasurer), Mary Steen (Vice Chair), Mary Poole, Keith Covey, Cynthia Kauffeld (Secretary), Matt Rohn, Ed Smith.

Meeting location: Just Food Co-op meeting room.

A. Treasurer's report. 
Balance $30, 737.48. Total donations for the year were $2350. Give MN donations were more than $1000 this year. 

B. Building report.
Kiosks and closet. Matt talked to Scott Swanson, and Scott has submitted an estimate for the kiosk to TJ, which was then submitted to City Hall. So it’s moving forward. 

Re the closet: TJ has $600 to contribute towards it. Scott will look at the plan from Keith and give an estimate to TJ and to Anne before moving forward, and he will look into material for the door to hold against kids kicking it in with skates. Some discussion of whether a light in the closet is necessary but general consensus that we can get by without one to keep costs low. 

C. ROMP update.

Cindy and Barry Carlson and Jasper Kruegel (project coordinator) and Dave Bennett (new city engineer) and Anne and Matt had a really productive meeting. The City is going to do all the project management; they may even do some landscaping around the instruments. We won’t know what the costs are going to be until March, and we will know about a pending Union Pacific grant application then as well. The City will do the purchasing, and then we will reimburse them. The $15,000 Rotary money will have to come to us first anyway.  There needs to be a down payment of half of the price before they can actually be ordered. The City is going to work with the design that Camille did  as the instruments are installed and the surrounding area is landscaped. They should work directly with Camille on this and don’t need to go through us. 

We had put $1500 aside for screening trees  - then Distads didn’t want the trees, but then they moved…now that money could be used to assure the landscaping around the cement area of the instruments.

D. Park Board news.

Mary S attended a previous park board meeting, and there is another one this Thurs. at 7 pm that Mary S can’t go to. Anne will try to go to it. It’s at the police station. In case Jasper mentions this, or if TJ is there, to ask him about liability, etc., it would be good to have someone there from FWP. (This mtg was later canceled for lack of quorum).

E. Website

Thoughts about keeping it current: yoga is most recent thing on website right now, which was a  long time ago.  We will maybe put up old photos from winters past – maybe have quarterly photos for website. We’ve been using Facebook a lot  more, making the website fall to the back burner but we still should make sure it’s up-to-date.

We may have a spontaneous cocoa and skating event, and just advertise a few days ahead. Mary P will check weather and if it looks good, she’ll alert rest of board, especially Anne and Ed, to get the word out on FB, website, and email. She’ll arrange for the cocoa; if it works out we could get the fire ring from Michelle to use.  Maybe Feb 6th or 13th.

F. Yoga. Anne got the information for the Allina grant, due Feb 1st. Anne will fill it out with essentially the same  information as last year, but based on the past success of the event, we’ll  ask for funding for 8 weeks instead of 6. We could try to apply for funding for other events as well; discussion of trying to do something with  maybe with bikes? We can apply for up to 3 activities.  Maybe have a bunch of striders for little kids available for an afternoon?  Maybe contact Bike Northfield –is the contact  Laura Decker?  Matt will check on the name. 

G. Found key. no one has claimed the car key found in the park last fall after pumpkin fest.


H. Next meeting – Feb. 16th. 7:30 pm at Keith’s.