Thursday, April 28, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes Mar. 14th, 2016

Friends of Way Park (FWP) Meeting Minutes
Mar. 14th, 2016, 7:30 pm

FWP Members Present: Anne Berry (Chair), Mary Emery (Treasurer), Mary Steen (Vice Chair), Mary Poole, Keith Covey, Cynthia Kauffeld (Secretary), Matt Rohn, Ed Smith, Michelle Martin, Mary Cisar; Cindy Carlson for ROMP present for the first half-hour.

Meeting location: Anne’s house.

I. ROMP update (Cindy Carlson)

Funds:
  • Anne spoke with Jasper today, the instruments have been ordered (bases are green, tops alternate between moss-colored and taupe). Jasper is ready to receive the money from us. Cindy will check in with Barry to see if the Rotary grant money ($15,000) has to pass through us first or if it can be paid directly to the City.
  • The SEMAC grant ($10,000) funds have come to us, so we will pass them on to the City.
  • We will also pass on the money raised by the music concert last year (approximately $1600) as well as the $5,000 that FWP pledged toward the project (we have already spent $2, 085 of this amount on the Concept plan, so we will forward the balance on to the City). We will write a check for this at the end of the meeting.

Pavers:
  • Discussion of the paver colors for the music plaza. Two choices. Plus background cement color. Anne will put the samples out in the park so we can walk through and get a sense of which would look best with the existing park wall.

Quotes:
  • Discussion of having quotes related to music stamped in the cement around the plaza. Cindy passed out a handout with some possible citations for this purpose. General agreement about this; consensus that they should be relatively short quotes. They’ll need to be chosen by the end of March. We will circulate the final possibilities via email so that we can vote on them. Cindy will check in with Liz Shepley who might be a good resource for these.
Signage:
  • Discussion of possible wording for a plaque or other commemorative acknowledgement for the funders.  

II. Treasurer's report
  • Mary E passed out copies of the report. Balance is $22,436.98.She will amend the report to move the Fireflies Play Environment expenditure from the ROMP section to the regular section of our spending, as it is related to the nature play plan, and not the music plaza.
  • There have been difficulties with the Oracle website (and Amazon Smiles, as a possible source of matching funds to whom someone named FWP as a recipient) and there was consensus that it is not worth our (Mary’s) time at this point, so no need for her to go to further trouble setting up an account.

III. Events reports
  • “Cocoa Day” was a success, perhaps we should do “Lemonade Day” in the spring or summer.
  • Yoga: we got the Allina grant again, for 8 sessions. The specifications of the grant would like to see the same people to attend each week (there will be a drawing for a gift card from Heartwork from among those who attend 6 times). We’ll shoot for 9 am Saturdays again, in August and September. Ed will get the word out already so people have it on their radar.
    • Katie Felland is interested in teaching again, and she’d like to share the job with another instructor. Mary P will check on this.
  • Outdoor Day: discussion of possible dates. Sunday, May 1st, 1- 4 pm is chosen.
    • maybe Maypole, May baskets, plantings, Science Alliance, Bike Northfield for tune-ups…
    • will be canceled if bad weather.
    • Suzie Nakasian is interested in doing some kind of “east meets west” event – perhaps this event could be advertised on the east side too.
    • discussion of creating a pollinator garden: Beth Kallsted (sp?), as part of Rotary is interested in promoting this and supporting this in the park. Perhaps we could have some kind of information on this at Outdoor Day. There is room for more planting in the south rain garden where the Girl Scouts started a pollinator garden before. We need to have a way to maintain it. Matt will contact Beth.
    • it would be good to have coordination of volunteer efforts. 
    • maybe we should have a volunteer weeding training? one of them could be at outdoor day? and possibly instructions posted in the kiosks?
IV. Web report
  • Ed will update the site with the meeting minutes; he’ll also do brief blasts about the different upcoming events as appropriate: yoga, outdoor day, pollinator gardens, etc.

V. Building report 
  • No news on the closet in the warming house, or the kiosk. Anne will get in touch with Scott Swanson.

VI. Park Board report
  • Anne will find out if there is a meeting this Thurs and let Mary S know, as she would be able to attend.

VII. Next meeting: April 19th 7:30 pm Mary Steen’s house.